Greta Thunberg forcibly removed from climate protest after fine

Climate activist carried away by police for blocking traffic at protest near the harbour in Malmo, Sweden.

Climate activist Greta Thunberg has been forcibly removed by police from a protest in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, hours after a local court fined her for disobeying a police order during a similar protest last month.

Thunberg, 20, who became the face of young climate activists worldwide after staging weekly protests in front of the Swedish parliament, admitted during the court proceedings on Monday that she had disobeyed the police order but pleaded not guilty and said she was acting out of necessity.

Asked by reporters if she would exercise more caution in the future following her fine, Thunberg said climate protesters were “definitely not going to back down”.

“We know that we cannot save the world by playing by the rules because the laws have to be changed,” the activist said.

“It is absurd that those who act in line with science should pay the price for it,” she told reporters in the Malmo District Court.

Greta Thunberg
Thunberg was carried away from a climate protest near Malmo harbour [Andreas Hillergren/TT News Agency via Reuters]

Thunberg and other activists from the group Reclaim the Future blocked the road for oil trucks in Malmo harbour on June 19. She was charged for failing to leave when ordered to do so by police.

After Monday’s sentencing, Thunberg and other activists headed back to Malmo harbour only to be carried away by police again for blocking traffic.

Thunberg had earlier told the court that her actions were justifiable. “I believe that we are in an emergency that threatens life, health and property,” she said. “Countless people and communities are at risk both in the short term and in the long term.”

The court ordered Thunberg to pay a fine of 1,500 crowns ($144) and an additional 1,000 crowns to Sweden’s fund for crime victims.

The fine was applied in proportion to her reported income. Failure to obey a police order carries a maximum sentence of six months in prison.

Source: News Agencies