Hong Kong protests flare before Xi meeting with city leader

Protesters took over malls and blocked roads triggering confrontations with police after two weeks of relative calm.

Hong Kong protests
Protesters and police clashed again in Hong Kong over the weekend as the country's leader travelled to Beijing for talks [Danish Siddiqui/Reuters]

Hong Kong police fired tear gas in late night street clashes with anti-government protesters, in the run-up to a potentially pivotal meeting between Hong Kong’s leader and China’s president in Beijing on Monday.

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam is in the Chinese capital for a regular duty visit and first met China’s premier Li Keqiang who said the city faced an unprecedented and challenging situation.

“The SAR (special administrative region) government must continue its efforts, end violence and stop the chaos in accordance with the law and restore order,” Li said in his meeting with Lam, the opening remarks of which were broadcast by Cable TV.

Lam is set to meet President Xi Jinping amid speculation the visit could yield fresh directives on the city’s political crisis, including a possible cabinet reshuffle.

The two previously met in Shanghai in early November when Xi expressed “high trust” in Lam despite the turmoil.

Lam, however, appeared to play down the prospects of a cabinet reshuffle before she left, saying the first task was to curb violence and restore order, while seeking to engage in more dialogue with the public.

Hong Kong protests
Some protesters targeted shopping malls while others blocked roads triggering clashes with police [Danish Siddiqui/Reuters]

Hong Kong has been embroiled in its worst political crisis in decades since June with anti-government protests posing a populist challenge to China’s Xi. The unrest has also complicated ties between China and the United States at a time of heightened tensions, including over trade.

Late on Sunday, groups of masked youths – angered by what they see as Chinese meddling in freedoms promised to Hong Kong when the former British colony returned to Chinese rule in 1997 – blocked roads around Mong Kok district, prompting police to fire multiple rounds of tear gas and baton-charge crowds.

It was the first time in nearly two weeks that tear gas had been deployed by police.

Fires were lit and traffic lights smashed, while one student reporter for Baptist University was hit in the face by a police projectile and was sent to hospital, local television footage showed.

Small bands of protesters marched through several malls, blocking entrances, smashing glass, and chanting slogans including “fight for freedom”. Many shops in affected malls closed early after battalions of riot police stormed in, pepper-spraying crowds and making multiple arrests.

In the evening, several hundred protesters held a vigil for a protester who fell to his death outside a luxury mall six months ago. They laid white flowers and sang songs to commemorate Leung Ling-kit, known as “raincoat man” for what he wore at the time.

Despite the protesters’ demands and anti-China rhetoric, China maintains it is committed to the “one country, two systems” formula that was agreed at the time of the handover and affords Hong Kong autonomy and freedoms that are absent on the mainland.

Source: Reuters