Abdikadir Abukar executed for killing of 26 people in bombings in Mogadishu in 2017, prosecutor says.
The United States‘ military has said that an air attack in southern Somalia killed at least 52 al-Shabab fighters, in response to an attack earlier in the day that left at least eight Somali soldiers dead.
A US Africa Command statement on Saturday said the attack occurred near Jilib in Middle Juba region.
Jubaland regional security minister Abdirashid Hassan Abdinur told state-run Radio Mogadishu that the fatalities from the al-Shabab side could be as high as 73.
There was no immediate comment from al-Shabab on the death toll.
Earlier on Saturday, at least eight Somali soldiers were killed when al-Shabab fighters overran a military camp on the outskirts of the town of Kismayo.
According to reports, the heavily-armed fighters launched a dawn raid on the military camp, followed by a heavy exchange of gunfire which lasted hours.
Al-Shabab claimed it killed 15 Somali soldiers.
The incident came a day after al-Shabab said it had attacked Ethiopian troops in Somalia in an ambush on the road between the capital, Mogadishu, and the southwest town of Baidoa.
Since 2017, the US military has stepped up air raids against the armed group.
Al-Shabab controls large parts of rural southern and central Somalia and continues to carry out high-profile attacks in Mogadishu and elsewhere.
Al-Shabab forces have been fighting to overthrow the internationally-backed government in Mogadishu.
Four gunmen and a suicide bomber left 21 dead and injured 28 in Nairobi.