Democracy was protected by ordinary citizens who had gathered to oppose the coup.
Two high-ranking Turkish officers have resigned just hours before the country’s Supreme Military Council began a meeting to discuss a review of the armed forces.
The generals handed in their resignations in protest against the government’s ongoing dismissals in the aftermath of the failed coup attempt of July 15, sources told Al Jazeera on Thursday.
CNN Turk identified them as Kamil Basoglu and Ihsan Uya, both high-ranking members of the land forces.
The council comprises the heads of the various divisions of the army, as well as Turkey’s prime minister and the defence minister.
It is responsible for promotions and removals and also helps to set the direction of the armed forces.
The Supreme Military Council meeting was scheduled to be held in the beginning of August but it was advanced by a week, Al Jazeera’s Almutaz Billah Hasan reported from Ankara.
For the first time, the meeting is taking place in Ankara at the Cankaya palace of the prime minister instead of the military headquarters.
Fikri Isik, the Turkish defence minister, is attending the meeting, which is being chaired by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
The meeting will last just one day as opposed to the usual three, and will address the failed coup attempt, a new military structure, possible promotions of at least 91 officers, and the latest dismissals within the army.
The Turkish government has dismissed more than 1,223 officers from the army, including 130 generals, since the failed coup attempt.
On Thursday, Turkish media sources reported quoting Mevlut Cavusoglu, the Turkish foreign minister, that 88 employees had been laid off from his department.
At the same time, the government has shut down several media outlets, including 16 television channels and three news agencies that are said to be supportive of Fethullah Gulen, the US-based exile and businessman blamed by the Turkish government for the failed coup attempt.