Yemen: Death toll in ISIL's Aden bombing rises to 70

Gathering of new recruits at army training camp in northern part of Aden was targeted in suicide car bombing.

    The death toll in a suicide car bomb attack on an army training camp in Yemen's port city of Aden has risen to 70, according to medical sources.

    The incident took place at a camp in northern Aden on Monday when the attacker drove his vehicle into a gathering of new recruits at the camp.

    The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group claimed responsibility for the attack later on Monday.

    Khidra Lasour, the director general of Yemen's health ministry in Aden, told Reuters news agency that at least 67 people were wounded.

    "It's a massacre. This is the highest death toll in any attack that has happened in Aden," Hakim Almasmari, editor-in-chief of Yemen Post newspaper, told Al Jazeera.

    Scattered debris

    Witnesses said the suicide bomber entered the compound behind a truck that had brought breakfast for the recruits, who had queued for the meal.

    Officials said some recruits were buried when a roof collapsed after the blast. Debris was scattered around the complex and nearby buildings were damaged as well.

    Yemen: Scores killed in ISIL-claimed suicide bombing in Aden

    Aden, the temporary base of Yemen's Arab Gulf-backed government, has seen a wave of bombings and shootings targeting officials and security forces.

    Yemeni authorities have trained hundreds of soldiers in Aden over the past two months as part of operations to retake neighbouring southern provinces from fighters.

    Earlier this month, Yemen government forces entered Abyan's provincial capital Zinjibar.

    Troops retook other towns across Abyan but have met fierce resistance in a key al-Qaeda stronghold, Al-Mahfid, a town which lies further east, security sources said.

    Fighters still at large

    The fighters are still present in areas surrounding the recaptured towns and control large parts of the neighbouring Shabwa province, the sources say.

    The Arab coalition which backs the Yemeni government against Iran-backed rebels has also been providing troops with air cover throughout the war against the fighters.

    The coalition assembled by Saudi Arabia intervened in Yemen in March last year and has helped government troops to push the rebels out of Aden and four other southern provinces.

    But authorities have been struggling to secure these provinces.

    More than 6,600 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Yemen since March 2015 and more than 80 percent of the population has been left in need of humanitarian aid, according to the UN.

     

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera News and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    'We scoured for days without sleeping, just clothes on our backs'

    'We scoured for days without sleeping, just clothes on our backs'

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Daughters of al-Shabab

    Daughters of al-Shabab

    What draws Kenyan women to join al-Shabab and what challenges are they facing when they return to their communities?