Pentagon plans more prisoner transfers from Guantanamo

The development marks the latest push in Obama's bid to shut down the facility before he leaves the White House.

    Pentagon plans more prisoner transfers from Guantanamo
    Obama campaigned in 2008 on closing Guantanamo, but stepped back from doing so amid strong opposition [J. Scott Apple/EPA]

    The Pentagon plans to transfer about a dozen inmates of the Guantanamo Bay military prison in Cuba to at least two countries, a US official has said.

    The first of the transfers were expected in the next few days and the others in the coming weeks, said the official on Wednesday who spoke on condition of anonymity.

    The transfers are part of President Barack Obama's latest push to close down the facility, which opened the US to accusations of torture.

    Tariq Ba Odah, a Yemeni man who has been on a long-term hunger strike and has lost about half of his body weight, will be among the prisoners being transferred. 


    READ MORE: Hurdles ahead as Obama bids to shut Guantanamo prison


    Ba Odah's lawyers had tried unsuccessfully to win his release on health and humanitarian grounds, but Pentagon officials said he was receiving proper care.

    There are now 91 prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay prison. Most have been held without charge or trial for more than a decade, drawing international condemnation.

    Stiff opposition 

    Obama, who last month presented Congress with a blueprint for closing the prison, faces stiff opposition from Republicans as well as some from his fellow Democrats.

    The administration wants to avoid fuelling any political outcry over specific sites during a US presidential election year.

    The Pentagon has notified Congress of its latest planned transfers from among the 37 detainees already cleared to be sent to their homelands or other countries.


    READ MORE: Guantanamo Bay closure - Obama sends plan to Congress


    "I do not have a timeline on when particular detainees will be transferred from Guantanamo," Commander Gary Ross, a defence department spokesman, said in a statement.

    "However, the administration is committed to reducing the detainee population and to closing the detention facility responsibly," Ross added.

    Guantanamo prisoners were rounded up overseas when the US became involved in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan following the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington. 

    Former US President George W Bush opened the facility, which came to symbolise aggressive detention practices.

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Why America's Russia hysteria is dangerous

    Why America's Russia hysteria is dangerous

    The US exaggerating and obsessing about foreign threats seems quite similar to what is happening in Russia.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months