A suicide car bomber has killed three people, including two civilians and one foreign soldier, in the Afghan capital, in an attack targeting a convoy of foreign troops near Kabul’s airport, officials have said.
The Afghan interior ministry told Al Jazeera on Sunday that at least two women were killed and 21 civilians wounded, after a suicide bomber detonated his explosives-packed car on a road leading from the airport to a nearby NATO military installation.
The blast is believed to have happened after the attacker rammed his car into a convoy of foreign troops.
Al Jazeera’s Jennifer Glasse, reporting from the capital, said at least one foreign soldier was also killed in the attack.
Aziz Basam, a senior press officer with the European Union Police Mission in Afghanistan (EUPOL), told the AFP news agency that, “the one killed inside a vehicle was a foreigner who worked for EUPOL”.
In a statement obtained by Al Jazeera the Taliban claimed responsibility for the blast.
The Taliban have launched a wave of attacks around the country since the drawdown of most foreign troops last year to a small training force.
The group claimed responsibility for an attack on a Kabul guesthouse last week that left 14 people dead, including nine foreigners.