Investigations continued on Thursday to determine the fate of the suspected planner of the Paris attacks after a raid on a French apartment block neutralised an ISIL cell allegedly planning more strikes.
Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said investigators had not identified the two people killed in the operation on Wednesday, adding the main suspect of Friday’s attacks – which killed at least 129 people – was not among those arrested.
Keep readinglist of 4 items
“Our raid carried out this morning showed that a new terrorist group was demolished,” said Molins. “According to their weapons and equipment, their organisation structure and their determination, we think that they would probably carry out a new round of terrorist attacks.”
The fate of key suspect Abdelhamid Abaaoud, a Belgian national, remained unclear on Thursday. Another alleged attacker, Salah Abdeslam, is also on the run.
A female suicide bomber, reportedly Abaaoud’s cousin, blew herself up as the raid began.
Molins said more than 5,000 bullets were fired by police during the operation, which also wounded several people including police.
Meanwhile, a debate will start Thursday in the lower house of France’s parliament ahead of a vote on whether the state of emergency should be extended for three months.
Police have banned public demonstrations until November 22 in Paris and surrounding towns in the latest utilisation of expanded security measures permitted under the state of emergency installed following last week’s bloody attacks.
The ban on marches and other demonstrations on public squares and roadways entered into effect midnight Wednesday.
|Inside Story: Tracking down the Paris attackers