Refugee children rescued from Austria smuggling truck

Three severely dehydrated children admitted to hospital after they were found in a truck carrying 26 refugees.

    On Thursday an abandoned truck containing the bodies of 71 dead refugees was found on a motorway in eastern Austria [AP]
    On Thursday an abandoned truck containing the bodies of 71 dead refugees was found on a motorway in eastern Austria [AP]

    Three young children have been taken to hospital in critical condition after Austrian police stopped a truck containing 26 refugees, a day after 71 people were found dead in another vehicle.

    "The three small children had to be hospitalised ... because of the extremely bad state of their health. Doctors said they were treated for severe dehydration," the police said in a statement about Friday's incident.

    "If the journey had continued the situation could probably have become critical," a spokesman from police in Upper Austria state told AFP.

    Arrests made after 71 dead refugees found in truck

    The vehicle, pulled over by police after a chase, contained 26 people from Syria, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan who said they wanted to go to Germany, the police statement said.

    The incident happened near Braunau am Inn in western Austria close to the border with Germany. The driver, from Romania, who had refused to pull over for a routine check, was arrested.

    On Thursday, an abandoned truck containing the bodies of 71 dead refugees including four children was found on a motorway in eastern Austria near the Hungarian border.

    Autopsies are still being carried out but police think that the refugees, likely from Syria, suffocated from lack of air and had been dead for up to two days before the refrigerated truck was noticed by motorway maintenance workers.

    Arrests ordered

    On Saturday, a Hungarian court ordered the preliminary arrest of four men suspected of being involved in their deaths.

    Ferenc Bicskei, president of the Kecskemet Court, said that the suspects would be held until they were indicted on September 29.

    The three Bulgarian suspects aged 29, 30 and 50, and a 28-year-old man from Afghanistan have appealed the court decision, saying they had not committed any crimes.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    From Qatar to Alaska, a personal journey exploring what it means to belong when your culture is endangered.