Co-pilot was at helm of crashed AirAsia flight

French co-pilot was flying the plane when it went down into the Java Sea last month, investigation reveals.

    The co-pilot of an AirAsia flight that crashed into the Java Sea last month was at the controls when it went down, killing all 162 people on board, investigators have said.

    The country's National Transportation Safety Committee revealed on Thursday that the French co-pilot, Remi Plesel, was flying the plane when the aircraft went down, rather than Captain Iriyanto, an experienced former fighter pilot.

    "The second-in-command was the pilot flying," chief investigator Mardjono Siswosuwarno told reporters in Jakarta, adding that the captain was monitoring the flight.

    Another investigator, Ertata Lananggalih, said that the plane climbed sharply before crashing, echoing comments previously made by Transport Minister Ignasius Jonan.

    Investigators also said there were towering cumulonimbus clouds in the area reaching heights of up to 44,000 feet at the time of the crash, although they declined to say whether the plane had flown into them.

    Cumulonimbus clouds can cause severe turbulence for aircraft.

    Siswosuwarno said that the plane was in good condition.

    Search scaled down

    The announcement came as fishermen found two more bodies from the crash in waters off Sulawesi island in central Indonesia, around 1,000km from where the plane crashed, a search and rescue official said.

    AirAsia Flight QZ8501 went down in stormy weather on December 28 during what was supposed to be a short trip from the Indonesian city of Surabaya to Singapore.

    Only 72 bodies have so far been recovered. Indonesian investigators have been analysing data from the plane's black boxes - the flight data recorder and the cockpit voice recorder - and this week submitted a preliminary report to the UN's International Civil Aviation Organisation.

    The preliminary report was not released but investigators said they hope to complete a final report in seven to eight months, which will be made public.

    The military, which has provided most personnel and equipment for the hunt, withdrew from the search this week, saying that it could find no more bodies in the jet's main section. The navy had also repeatedly failed to lift the badly damaged fuselage.

    Indonesia's civilian search and rescue agency is continuing the search for victims, but on a smaller scale.



    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Why America's Russia hysteria is dangerous

    Why America's Russia hysteria is dangerous

    The US exaggerating and obsessing about foreign threats seems quite similar to what is happening in Russia.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months