A Pakistani government prosecutor has said he will challenge a court order granting bail to the alleged mastermind of the 2008 attacks in Mumbai.
The decision drew quick condemnation from India and apparently threatens to hinder attempts to patch up ties between the rival neighbours.
Lakhvi remains in custody at the high security Adyala prison in garrison city of Rawalpindi under the Maintenance of Public Order act, which gives authorities the ability to detain suspects liable to cause public disruption.
Government prosecutor Mohammad Azhar Chaudhry told international media that he was completing the legal formalities to file the application to challenge the order in Islamabad on Monday.
“Today I am trying to get a copy of the written [bail] order and then I will file an appeal in Islamabad high court,” Chaudhry said.
The 60-hour assault on Mumbai in 2008 was blamed on the banned Pakistani armed group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
Lakhvi was reported to be LeT operations commander when he was arrested.
Relations between Pakistan and India, two nuclear-armed rivals, worsened dramatically after the carnage, in which 10 gunmen attacked luxury hotels, a popular cafe, a train station and a Jewish centre.
Since Sharif was elected last year, he has been trying to repair relations with India, which he sees as vital to kickstarting Pakistan’s sluggish economy.
Asad Hashim contributed to this report from Islamabad.