Iran moves to sue US over 1953 coup
Parliament gives preliminary approval to bill requiring legal action over US role in toppling Prime Minister Mossadegh.
Iran’s parliament has given preliminary approval to a bill requiring the government to sue the US for its involvement in the 1953 coup that overthrew the country’s democratically elected prime minister.
The bill follows the release of newly declassified documents offering more details of how the CIA orchestrated the overthrow of Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh 60 years ago.
It calls for setting up a committee to study the issue and provide a report within six months before legal action is launched against the US government in an international court.
Of 196 lawmakers attending Wednesday’s session of parliament, 167 voted in favour of the bill while five opposed it. The session was broadcast live on state radio.
The coup restored the regime of Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. He was overthrown in the 1979 Iranian revolution.
Lawmaker Mahdi Mousavinejad said Iran should take legal action and make the US take responsibility for its actions.
“America’s oppressive behaviour shows that the Iranian nation has to stand up and pursue its trampled rights,” he said.
But Mohammad Mahdi Rahbari, another lawmaker, opposed the bill, saying it would not bring anything tangible for Iran.
“Pursuing this bill has no benefits for our country. It will waste the parliament’s time,” he said.
Lawmakers said the documents prove that the US has a history of bad intentions towards Iran and that the admission was sufficient evidence to get compensation.
In a document revealed earlier this month titled “The Battle for Iran”, the CIA reveals the coup plan was called “Operation TPAJAX”.
The US cut off diplomatic relations with Iran after students stormed the US embassy in Tehran to protest against Washington’s refusal to hand over the toppled shah back to Iran for trial.