Syrian government and rebel fighters have traded numerous allegations of chemical weapons use across the country.
An emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council has called for a prompt investigation into an alleged chemical weapons attack outside the Syrian capital, Damascus.
Syria’s opposition accused the government on Wednesday of using chemical arms to strike rebel-held areas in the eastern suburbs of Damascus, killing hundreds of people.
She added that council members – who were briefed by Deputy-Secretary General Jan Eliasson – “welcomed Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s determination to ensure a thorough, impartial and prompt investigation”.
|Al Jazeera’s John Terrett has more on the outcome of the UN emergency meeting in New York|
UN deputy spokesman Eduardo del Buey said earlier that the secretary-general was “shocked” at Wednesday’s alleged use of chemical weapons.
The alleged attack coincided with the visit to Syria by a 20-member UN chemical weapons team, which only has a mandate to investigate three previous allegations of chemical weapons use.
Al Jazeera’s John Terrett, reporting from New York, described the statement released by the Council as “very vague, bland and tepid”.
“The Security Council is hobbled on issue of Syria, they can’t agree on anything,” our correspondent said.
Perceval, whose country is presiding over the Council for the month of August, said there was a “strong call for a cessation of hostilities and for a ceasefire”.
The United States, Britain and France are among around 35 countries that called for chief UN investigator Ake Sellstrom, whose team is currently in Syria, to investigate the incident as soon as possible.
UN diplomats, however, said Russia and China opposed language that would have demanded a UN probe.
Videos distributed by activists, which could not be independently verified, showed medics attending to asphyxiating children and hospitals being overwhelmed. More footage showed dozens of people laid out on the ground, with no visible wounds or trauma.
There have been conflicting reports on the death toll. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based watchdog group, said that the attack killed at least 100 people.
are just a few steps away”]
However, Salim Idriss, the military chief of the Free Syrian Army, told Al Jazeera that at least 1,600 were killed and hundreds more injured.
The Syrian National Coalition’s George Sabra said that more than 1,300 people had been killed in what he described as a “coup de grace that kills all hopes for a political solution in Syria”.
“The Syrian regime is mocking the UN and the great powers when it strikes targets near Damascus, while the [UN weapons inspectors] are just a few steps away,” he said.
The Syrian armed forces strongly denied the usage of chemical weapons, and state television said the accusations were fabricated to distract the UN investigators.
The UN said its chief chemical weapons inspector Ake Sellstrom was in discussions with the Syrian government over the alleged attack.
The Security Council met after several Western and regional powers called for the UN team to be dispatched to the scene.
The European Union condemned the suspected use of chemical weapons as “totally unacceptable”.
“We are awaiting further information about this but, if verified, this would be a shocking escalation of the use of chemical weapons in Syria. We are determined the people responsible will one day be held to account,” said British Foreign Secretary William Hague.
|Activist networks reported death tolls in the hundreds, but these could not be independently confirmed [Reuters]|
In Cairo, the Arab League also urged the UN inspectors to visit the site of the alleged attack immediately.
Ralf Trapp, a chemical weapons expert, told Al Jazeera that with the UN team being present in the country, a very effective investigation could be conducted.
“It could be conducted very swiftly, because you are now in a time frame [of a few hours or days after the attack] so you can find the actual agent or degradation products of the agent, in biological samples and also in the environment,” he said, speaking from France.
He said the symptoms that people in the videos he viewed showed were consistent with the possible use of a chemical agent.
However, Paula Vanninen, the director of Verifin, the Finnish Institute for Verification of the Chemical Weapons Convention, told Al Jazeera that “some of those people were shaking and could have gotten the nerve agent exposure, but for others it’s quite difficult to say from the video what has caused their death”.
“But you can see that they couldn’t breathe. Something has caused that – they were killed by not being able to breathe anymore,” she added.
Russia’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said circumstances around the reports, including the presence of UN inspectors in the country, suggested that attack could be a provocation by the opposition.
“All this cannot but suggest that once again we are dealing with a pre-planned provocation. This is supported by the fact that the criminal act was committed near Damascus at the very moment when a mission of UN experts had successfully started their work of investigating allegations of the possible use of chemical weapons there,” Lukashevich said in a statement.
Activists said rockets with chemical agents hit the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar during fierce pre-dawn bombardment by government forces.
The Damascus Media Office monitoring centre, citing figures compiled from medical clinics, said 150 bodies were counted in Hammouriya, 100 in Kfar Batna, 67 in Saqba, 61 in Douma, 76 in Mouadamiya and 40 elsewhere in Damascus suburbs.
They added that at least 90 percent of them were killed by gas and the rest by shelling.
Syria is said to have one of the world’s largest stockpiles of chemical weapons, including mustard gas and the nerve agent sarin. The government refuses to confirm or deny it possesses such weapons.
Rebels and the government have accused each other of using chemical weapons in attacks during the country’s civil war.
In June, the US said it had conclusive evidence that Bashar al-Assad’s regime used such arms against opposition forces.