US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been released from the New York-Presbyterian hospital after receiving treatment for a blood clot behind her right ear.
Philippe Reines, Clinton’s spokesman, said in a statement that she was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday after doctors said they were confident she would recover fully from the blood clot, which stemmed from a concussion she suffered earlier this month.
Reines also said that Clinton is appreciative of the excellent care she received at the hospital and is eager to get back to work. A date for her return to the State Department has not been set.
Earlier on Wednesday, a State Department spokeswoman said Clinton, who had not been seen in public since December 7, had been talking with her staff by telephone and receiving memos.
Clinton also spoke to two foreign officials, the UN envoy on Syria and the prime minister of Qatar, on Saturday, the day before the State Department disclosed the blood clot and her stay at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
“She’s been quite active on the phone with staff and taking paper, etc.,” State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said at the department’s daily briefing.
The concussion was itself the result of an earlier illness, described by the State Department as a stomach virus she had
picked up during a trip to Europe that led to dehydration and a fainting spell after she returned to the United States.
In a statement released by the State Department on Monday, Clinton’s doctors said they were confident that she would make a full recovery and that she would be released from the hospital once the correct dosage of blood thinners had been determined.