Alaixys Romao, another player for the team, said he believes seven people were hit by machine gunfire, including two players.
The attack took place on Friday in the enclave of Cabinda, where a separatists group has waged a three-decade long war against the government.
It comes just two days before the start of the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations, a pan-continental tournament. The tournament is the continent’s biggest football event.
The Togo team had been training in Congo and was travelling to Angola by bus ahead of their match against Ghana on Monday.
High profile players
Karthi Gnanasegaram, Al Jazeera’s sports correspondent, reporting from London said some high profile players, including Emmanuel Adebayor, who plays for the English club, Manchester City, were in the Togo team.
“We have spoken to Manchester City. They have told us he is definitely safe and he is unharmed, but he is obviously shaken by what has happened in the last few hours,” she said.
Antonio Bento Bembe, Angola’s minister without porfolio who is in charge of Cabinda affairs, condemned the attack.
“This was an act of terrorism that is being dealt with as we speak,” Bento Bembe told Reuters. Asked if there were any injuries, he replied, “I can confirm there are injuries but I still don’t have all the information”.