Lebanon army resumes camp assault
Helicopters and tanks launch raids on Fatah al-Islam after relatives are evacuated.

He said the wife and child of Shaker Youssef al-Absi, Fatah al-Islam’s leader, are among those who have left Lebanon.
The remaining women and children went to two other Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon – Badawi near the northern city of Tripoli and Ain al-Hilwa near the southern port city of Sidon, al-Haj said.
Two of the children evacuated received hospital treatment after leaving the camp and three women had been injured, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said.
![]() |
| Up to 70 Fatah al-Islam fighters are thought to still be in Nahr al-Bared [AFP] |
Small numbers of troops have entered the outskirts of Nahr al-Bared but the heart of the camp has remained off-limits.
Zeina Khodr, Al Jazeera’s correspondent in Lebanon, said: “Some sources are telling us [the evacuation] could be a test. Fatah al-Islam would like to see how the Lebanese army deals with the families to see whether there could be a possibility for surrender.”
Abdel Aziz Khoja left on August 17 after the embassy formally notified the Lebanese foreign ministry of a “threat of attack against the ambassador’s residence, the embassy or other Saudi interests in Lebanon”, the official said.
The Saudi embassy declined all comment but Khoja told the Saudi-owned Asharq Al-Awsat daily that “there were threats against Saudi embassy and against my person”.
The ambassador had already been threatened four or five times in the past, the daily said.
