Defence minister says Fatah al-Islam fighters have been crushed in Nahr al-Bared.
“Abu Salim Taha contacted us and asked for the civilians, meaning the Fatah al-Islam families, to be evacuated and for the army command to arrange this,” Hajj said.
“We contacted the army which welcomed the offer and gave assurances for the safety of the civilians.”
Hajj said Fatah al-Islam was counting the number of civilians that needed to be taken out so it could inform officials.
A spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross said she was aware of the ongoing negotiations, but no formal request had been made to the agency for assistance.
Most of the camp’s 31,000 residents left soon after the fighting began on May 20.
The fighting has left at least 200 people dead, including 141 soldiers, in the deadliest internal unrest since the country’s 1975-1990 civil war.
Sniper fire from inside the camp killed a pregnant Lebanese woman and a Lebanese soldier on Tuesday, the National News Agency said.