Talks resume as Afghan government contemplates military solution to standoff.
In apparent contradiction to what the Afghan government has said, Bashir claimed that Kabul will meet their demands and that the Korean and Afghan sides had already approved an initial “prisoners exchange”.
Qari Yousef Ahmadi, a Taliban spokesman, told Al Jazeera that its officials had received a written guarantee from the Afghan government that they would not be arrested at the meeting.
“This is a very hopeful development in this situation,” Nolan said.
“We had gone almost a week where they have been looking for an appropriate meeting venue to hold face-to-face negotiations.”
Twenty-three South Koreans, who were working with a church group as health aid volunteers, were abducted on July 19 as they travelled by bus from Kabul to the southern city of Kandahar.
Two male hostages have been executed by the Taliban since then.
Call for pull out
South Korea’s government has also called for aid organisations to leave Afghanistan by the end of the month, citing safety reasons, an embassy official told the Associated Press.
Ahmadi said the departure of South Korean aid workers would move forward negotiations with the Taliban.
Cha Sung-min, a spokesman for the hostages’ families in South Korea, said the mothers of several female hostages will travel to Dubai next week to seek help from the Arab world.