A challenge to the outcome of the presidential vote in DR Congo is rejected.
The 35-year-old has been president since 2001 when he took over after his father was assassinated.
The ceremony was held outside a courthouse which was set on fire two weeks ago when fighting broke out among Bemba supporters who had gathered to there back their candidate’s unsuccessful legal challenge of the election results.
Kabila has pledged to be the leader “of all the people, without distinction”, but controlling the various armed groups in the east could be his most significant challenge.
Tabaro Kiconco, the army spokesman for western Uganda, told Reuters news agency on Wednesday: “Yesterday, after that fighting started, over 12,000 refugees fled to the Ugandan side and are currently camped in two places.”
The fighting broke out last month when forces led by General Laurent Nkunda attacked government soldiers near the town of Sake.
UN peacekeepers became involved and more than 150 rebels were killed as they used helicopter gunships, heavy weapons and armoured vehicles to fight back the offensive.
Colonel Delphin Kahimbi, deputy head of the Congolese army in North Kivu province, told Reuters on Tuesday: “We are still finding bodies, but so far we have found more than 150.
Colonel Bernard Byamungu, Nkunda’s operations commander, and Dieudonne Kabika, the secretary-general of his political movement, surrendered along with nine other fighters to the UN.
A senior UN officer described Byamungu’s surrender as “a huge catch” and he was handed over to government forces.