Ibrahim Musa al-Muqayad, 14, was hit by a bullet in the back when soldiers opened fire on a group of Palestinian youths throwing stones on a nearby military position, medical sources and witnesses said on Monday.
According to military sources, the incident took place near the fence surrounding the Jewish settlement of Nissanit.
“Dozens of rioters were throwing stones at an Israeli Defence Forces (army) post,” the sources said. But the sources could not confirm that the Palestinian had been shot by one of the Israeli soldiers there and stressed that troops “only used non-lethal ammunition to disperse the crowd.”
The teenager’s death brings to 3944 the number of people killed since the beginning of the Palestinian uprising in September 2000, including 2974 Palestinians and 900 Israelis, according to an AFP.
Also on Monday, three Palestinians were injured during clashes with Israeli soldiers in Beit Sahur town east of the city of Bethlehem, Aljazeera’s correspondent in the West Bank reported.
Israeli soldiers have imposed a curfew on Beit Sahur town and Bethlehem for a couple of hours, the correspondent said. They then sealed off the whole Bethlehem province, he added.
Curfew is now imposed on Beit Jala town only, the correspondent said.