Chronology of bomb attacks in Iraq
Iraqis as well as US troops have died in attacks across Iraq, as the resistance against US occupation escalates.
Following is a chronology of some of the recent major bomb attacks in Iraq:
- 30 June – An explosion beside a mosque in Falluja kills nine Iraqis, including an Imam. The US military later said the blast was caused by a bomb-making class inside the mosque.
- 5 July – A blast kills seven Iraqi police recruits at their graduation ceremony in Ramadi, 100km west of Baghdad.
- 13 July – A bomb explodes near a police station in a Baghdad suburb, killing one person and wounding another.
- 7 Aug – A truck bomb explodes outside the Jordanian embassy compound in Baghdad, killing at least 17 people, wounding more than 60 and strewing gutted cars, body parts and a severed head across the street outside.
- 16 Aug – Six Iraqis are killed and 59 are injured in a mortar attack on Abu Ghraib prison on the outskirts of Baghdad.
- 19 Aug – A massive truck bomb devastates the UN headquarters in Baghdad, in the worst ever attack on a UN civilian complex. Twenty-two people are killed including Sergio Vieira de Mello, the top UN envoy to Iraq.
- 29 Aug – A car bomb kills at least 83 people, including top Shia Muslim leader Ayat Allah Mohammed Baqer al-Hakim, and wounds about 175, at the Imam Ali mosque in Najaf.
- 2 Sept – A car bomb rips through the Rasafa police headquarters in east Baghdad, killing one and wounding 15.
- 3 Sept – An Iraqi civilian is killed and two US soldiers are wounded in a suicide bombing in the town of Ramadi.
- 9Sept – A car bomb kills one Iraqi and wounds 53, including six American military personnel, in Arbil, northern Iraq.
- 22 Sept – An Iraqi security guard is killed by a suicide bomber at a car park next to UN headquarters in Baghdad.
- 24 Sept – A bomb apparently aimed at US troops tears through two buses in Baghdad, killing an Iraqi and wounding about 20. A blast rips through a cinema in Mosul causing several casualties.
- 25 Sept – A bomb explodes at the Aike Hotel in Baghdad housing journalists from US television network NBC, killing a Somali guard.
- 1 Oct – A female US soldier is killed and three others wounded by a bomb blast near the US military base in Tikrit.
- 6 Oct – Two US soldiers and an Iraqi interpreter are killed in a bomb blast south of Baghdad.
- 7Oct – A blast hits the compound of the Iraqi Foreign Ministry in Baghdad but guards at the building say there appear to have been no casualties.
- 9Oct – Two bombers kill eight Iraqis at a police station in the Shia Muslim district of Sadr City, northeast Baghdad.
- 12 Oct – At least six people are killed and dozens wounded in a blast outside the Baghdad Hotel, in the centre of the city.
- 14 Oct – A bomber kills himself and wounds 10 people when his car explodes outside the Turkish embassy in Baghdad.
- 26 Oct – Guerrillas fire rockets into Baghdad’s Rashid Hotel where US Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz was staying, killing a US soldier and wounding 17 people.
- 27 Oct – Bombers strike at least four times in Baghdad killing at least 35 people near a Red Cross building and three police stations. About 230 people were wounded.
- 28 Oct – A bomber blows up a car near the main police station in Falluja killing himself and four civilians.