Nato soldiers killed in Afghan blast

A suicide bomber has killed at least two Nato soldiers and several Afghans in Helmand province of southern Afghanistan.

    The Taliban have resurfaced in much of southern Afghanistan

    Witnesses and an army officer said a suicide bomber threw himself at Nato troops in the main bazaar of Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital, on Thursday.

    "The bomber was on foot and hurled himself at the convoy of Nato," said Shamsuddin, an Afghan army officer near the scene.

    Yusuf Ahmadi, a spokesperson for the Taliban, claimed responsibility for the attack and told Aljazeera that at least 14 people died in the attack, including seven British soldiers.

    A spokeswoman for the British defence ministry confirmed that several British soldiers had been injured but said "We have no report of British fatalities".

    British troops make up the bulk of Nato forces in Helmand, a Taliban stronghold and the heart of the illegal opium industry in the world's biggest producer.

    Ghulam Muhiddin, the spokesman for Helmand's governor, said the attacker targeted the vehicle of a British aid organisation.

    SOURCE: Aljazeera + Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Meet the man on a mission to take down Cambodia's timber tycoons and expose a rampant illegal cross-border trade.

    The priceless racism of the Duke of Edinburgh

    The priceless racism of the Duke of Edinburgh

    Prince Philip has done the world an extraordinary service by exposing the racist hypocrisy of "Western civilisation".

    China will determine the future of Venezuela

    China will determine the future of Venezuela

    There are a number of reasons why Beijing continues to back Maduro's government despite suffering financial losses.