Afghan battle kills 55 fighters

A six-hour battle between Nato troops and fighters in southern Afghanistan has left 55 fighters and one soldier dead.

    Nato troops have launched a new offensive against the Taliban

    Nato said that 20 Afghan fighters were also wounded in the battle that took place in the Daychopan district of Zabul province on Monday.

    Major Luke Knittig, a spokesman for Nato's international security assistance force said that troops are moving into areas where fighters are active in order to increase security so that reconstruction and development can take place.

    "What you are seeing in the southern provinces is our troops moving out with a purpose, which is to where we're seeing insurgent activity," Knittig said.

    The nationality of the dead Nato soldier has not been released, but there are many American troops operating in Zabul.

    Nato offensive

    Nato and Afghan troops killed 70 suspected fighters who attacked a military base north of Tarin Kowt in Uruzgan on Saturday.

    The alliance and Afghan troops fought back for several hours with small arms fire, attack helicopters and airstrikes.

    Nato and Afghan troops are pressing ahead with a new joint offensive called Operation Eagle, aimed at keeping pressure on the Taliban through the winter.

    The 32,000-strong Nato-led force took command of security operations in all of Afghanistan last month.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    World Cup 2018 quiz: How big a football fan are you?

    World Cup 2018 quiz: How big a football fan are you?

    Answer as many correct questions in 90 seconds to win the World Cup with your favourite team.

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    New information has come to light about thousands of mostly Yemeni children believed to have been abducted in the 1950s.

    Stories from the sex trade

    Stories from the sex trade

    Dutch sex workers, pimps and johns share their stories.