Twelve-year Mengistu trial adjourned | News | Al Jazeera

Twelve-year Mengistu trial adjourned

An Ethiopian judge has postponed a verdict in the genocide trial of Mengistu Haile Mariam, the country's former head of state, until January next year, despite a trial that has already taken 12 years.

    Mengistu and other officials are accused of genocide

    Medhin Kiros, the presiding judge, said on Tuesday the court needed more time to assess the huge body of evidence in the case against Mengistu, who is accused of killing tens of thousands of people during a 17-year rule that ended in 1991.
       
    "The trial has been adjourned until January 23, 2007, due to the overwhelming evidence presented ... the court needed more time," Medhin told the court.
       
    Mengistu fled to Zimbabwe after being overthrown by a guerrilla army led by Meles Zenawi, the current prime minister.  He has lived there in lavish seclusion since then.
       
    Mengistu's rule began with the toppling of Emperor Haile Selassie in 1974 and included war, brutal purges and famine.
       
    In the so-called Red Terror campaign in 1977-78, suspected opponents were rounded up, executed by garrotting or shooting, and their bodies thrown into the streets.

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    America's Guns: Secret Pipeline to Syria

    America's Guns: Secret Pipeline to Syria

    How has the international arms trade exacerbated conflict in the Middle East? People and Power investigates.

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    In 1959, a year before Nigeria's independence, a 23-year-old student helped colour the country's identity.