Scores die in India fair blaze

At least 50 people have died and 100 injured in a huge blaze at a consumer electronics fair in the north Indian city of Meerut.

    TV footage showed fire and smoke billowing out

    Television footage showed smoke and flames billowing out of a semi-circular air-conditioned tent where home appliances and electronic goods were being sold.

    Police say that many more could be trapped inside.
    "Forty bodies have been taken out, and there are at least another 40 to 50 people inside," a police official at the Meerut police control room said.
    "The tent was very long, extending for more than 100 metres and there was only one corridor to exit, so people could only come out one by one."
    About 60 people were taken to one hospital, some with very serious burns, a witness at the hospital said.
    Ambulances and fire engines moved in through the narrow streets leading to the fair.
    Doctors in hospitals and nursing homes said they had started seeing badly burnt cases arriving.
    "I have received eight cases - two serious - in the last one hour," said Sandeep Jain, a consultant at a private nursing home in Meerut, about 80km northeast of New Delhi.

    SOURCE: Reuters


    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    In 1959, a year before Nigeria's independence, a 23-year-old student helped colour the country's identity.