Six wounded in Istanbul blast, no dead

Six people were wounded on Monday by an explosion at an Istanbul supermarket, the second blast in Turkey's largest city in four days, and Turkish television said it had been caused by a bomb.

    The explosion ripped through a supermarket

    Governor Muammer Guler, quoted by the state Anatolian news agency, said one of the six was seriously wounded. Police had said earlier that the blast had killed at least one person but the governor, visiting the scene, made no mention of any deaths.
       
    "Our teams are carrying out an investigation. There is explosive material. We will soon determine what kind of material it is," Guler was quoted as saying.
       
    Asked if he thought the blast was a terrorist attack, Guler said: "Everything is possible."

    Last Thursday, a bomb explosion at an Internet cafe in Istanbul killed one person and wounded 16, an attack claimed by a militant Kurdish group. 
        
    Previous bombing

    "There is explosive material. We will soon determine what kind of material it is"

    Muammer Guler, Istanbul governor, confirming a bomb blast

    The group, called the Kurdistan Liberation Hawks, is believed to have links to outlawed Kurdish rebels fighting security forces in southeast Turkey and has claimed responsibility for other attacks in the past.
       
    CNN Turk television showed wounded shoppers being helped into ambulances after Monday's 7.30 pm (local time) blast. The ground was littered with glass from blown-out windows.
       
    The store belongs to the Kiler chain and is located in the Bahcelievler district near the airport on the European side of Istanbul, a sprawling city of 12 million people.
       
    Anatolian quoted local police chief Celalettin Cerrah as saying the blast had occurred near the supermarket entrance at a place where customers can leave bags before doing their shopping.
       
    Cerrah said the supermarket lacked security cameras. Islamists, ultra-leftists and other militant groups have attacked civilian and military targets across Turkey in the past.
       
    Islamists set off a series of devastating bombs in Istanbul in November 2003, targeting British and Jewish sites and killing more than 60 people. 

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Death from above: Every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Death from above: Every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and a coalition of Arab states have launched more than 19,278 air raids across Yemen.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Will you push the boundaries or play it safe?

    Will you push the boundaries or play it safe?

    Curate an art exhibition and survive Thailand's censorship crackdown in this interactive game.