Greek minister quits over remarks

Greece's minister in charge of the police has resigned after publicly criticising a senior judge probing the alleged abduction of Pakistani immigrants for questioning about the 7 July London bombings.

    The resignation is linked to the kidnapping case of 28 Pakistanis

    Christos Markoyiannakis, the deputy public order minister, resigned after calling the judge a "fool" and "illiterate". A sound recording of his recent comments was aired on private television stations.

    Greece and Britain have denied allegations that 28 Pakistanis around Greece were kidnapped in July and interrogated by Greek and British agents over several days about the bombings that killed 56 people on three subway trains and a bus.

    Greek newspapers have named one British and eight Greek secret service officers allegedly involved. One newspaper also published a photograph of the alleged British officer, a ranking official at the embassy in Athens.

    Embarrassment

    Markoyiannakis' remarks against Supreme Court prosecutor Dimitris Linos came as an embarrassment to Greece's conservative government, hours before the ministers of justice and public order were due to appear in parliament to answer questions on the alleged abductions.

    "My private remarks to friendly party colleagues were recorded illegally and an excerpt of this recording was broadcast out of context"

    Christos Markoyiannakis,
    Deputy Public Order Minister,
    Greece

    "I submit my resignation so that I do not place the government in a difficult position," Markoyiannakis, 58, said in a statement.

    "My private remarks to friendly party colleagues were recorded illegally and an excerpt of this recording was broadcast out of context."

    Last week, three of the Pakistanis who were allegedly abducted said they had been hooded, beaten and subjected to death threats during questioning.

    Lawyers representing the 28 immigrants have filed a complaint against the nine agents named by Greek newspapers.

    Little investigation

    "Months went by and of course the police did nothing to investigate these allegations, neither did the public order ministry," lawyer Frangiskos Ragoussis, who is representing several of the alleged abductees, told private Alpha television Wednesday.

    "A judge had to take the file from the police so that the investigation would start in earnest."

    On 21 January, Pakistani immigrants and an anti-globalisation group are planning a march in protest against the alleged abductions.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    New information has come to light about thousands of mostly Yemeni children believed to have been abducted in the 1950s.

    Stories from the sex trade

    Stories from the sex trade

    Dutch sex workers, pimps and johns share their stories.

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    As the stigma associated with being childless persists, some elderly women in India risk it all to become mothers.