Israeli army makes Gaza invasion plan

Israeli commanders drew up contingency plans this week for a massive ground offensive in the Gaza Strip ahead of next month's pullout; but they have so far been rejected by Defence Minister Shaul Mofaz, reports said.

    The plan has been rejected by defence minister Mofaz

    The proposal was put forward by the military's southern command on Tuesday after a wave of attacks by Palestinian resistance fighters; but Mofaz ruled it out for the time being because of the likely complications, the Haaretz daily said.

    An Israel military source declined to confirm or deny the report.

    "The army does not publish its operational plans and, when it has proposals to make, it does so behind closed doors," the source told AFP.

    US pressure

    According to Haaretz, the army plan foresaw three full brigades reoccupying two swathes of territory around the towns of Bait Hanun in the northern Gaza Strip and Khan Yunus in the south in a bid to stop Palestinian fighters attacking Jewish settlements during their evacuation.

    Southern command chief General Dan Harel and Gaza commander General Aviv Kochavi set out the plans in a meeting with Mofaz. But the Israeli defence minister insisted that the Palestinian security forces were capable of halting, or at least reining in, attacks during the withdrawal, the paper said.

    The defence minister also came under intense US pressure to avoid any escalation, security sources said.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Cricket World Cup 2019 Quiz: How many runs can you score?

    Cricket World Cup 2019 Quiz: How many runs can you score?

    Pick your team and answer as many correct questions in three minutes.

    Visualising every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Visualising every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and a coalition of Arab states have launched more than 19,278 air raids across Yemen.

    Remembering Chernobyl

    Remembering Chernobyl

    The fallout from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant explosion remains as politicised as ever, 28 years on.