Obscure group claims Cairo blast

A previously unknown group calling itself the Islamic Brigades of Pride in Egypt has claimed responsibility for the attack on tourists in downtown Cairo, a statement on the internet said.

    Egypt was caught in a wave of violence in the 1990s

    The authenticity of the statement could not immediately be verified.

    The blast on Thursday evening, apparently caused by a booby-trapped motorcycle, was

    the first attack against foreigners in the capital in more than

    seven years and came amid upheaval in Egypt's

    political scene.

     

    The internet statement said the attack was perpetrated "to avenge our brothers, martyrs of injustice, and detainees" and to prove to Egyptian President Husni Mubarak who "speaks of sleeper cells that there are also active mujahidin working against him and his likes".

    Egyptian Tourism Minister Ahmad al-Maghrabi said a

    Frenchwoman and a US national had been killed in the blast, while

    the third victim had not yet been identified.

    He said three Americans, two French and four Egyptians were

    also being treated at hospital. One of the French nationals was

    in a serious condition while the other wounded were stable, he added.

    SOURCE: Aljazeera + Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Thou Shalt Not Kill: Israel's Hilltop Youth

    Thou Shalt Not Kill: Israel's Hilltop Youth

    Meet the hardline group willing to do anything, including going against their government, to claim land for Israel.