Al-Qaida suspects go on trial in Spain

The suspected leader of al-Qaida in Spain, accused of aiding the 11 September 2001, hijackers, has gone on trial, along with 23 others, in Madrid.

    The trial is taking place amid high security in Madrid

    Syria-born Imad al-Din Barakat Yarkas, also known as Abu Dahdah, faces a sentence of 62,512 years in jail on allegations of "terrorist murder" for helping the hijackers plan the 2001 attacks on New York and Washington.

    Two others - Morocco-born Driss Chibli and Syria-born Ghasub al-Abrash Ghayun - also are accused of aiding 11 September hijacker Muhammad Atta during his travels in Spain in July 2001, when, investigators believe, he carried out the final planning for the attacks.

    The trial, which started on Friday, could take months and comes after failed terrorism prosecutions in Germany and the Netherlands.

    High security

    It is the first held at a high-security building remodelled for trials with multiple defendants where the suspects will sit in a bullet-proof glass cubicle.

    The suspects include Aljazeera 
    journalist Taysir Alluni

    Among those charged along with the defendants was al-Qaida leader Usama bin Ladin, but Spain cannot try suspects in their absence.

    The case was prepared by Spanish Judge Baltasar Garzon, who has been investigating Muslim militancy since 1991 - long before train bombings by radicals killed 191 people in Madrid on 11 March 2004.

    Garzon has since forwarded the case to trial judges, and the High Court's top criminal judge, Javier Gomez Bermudez, will preside over a three-judge panel hearing the case. 

    Alluni trial

    All the suspects but one are charged with belonging to a terrorist group, and that includes Taysir Alluni, a reporter for Aljazeera, who interviewed Bin Ladin shortly after the attacks on New York and the Pentagon.

    "I am innocent. Whatever the outcome of the trial, I will maintain that until death," Alluni said.

    The Spanish court ordered the temporary release and lifting of house arrest on Alluni, Aljazeera's correspondent in Madrid Michael Al-Kik reported.

    He has been under house arrest for medical reasons while the others have been held in jail.

    Alluni will testify before the court on 11 May to defend himself against charges of belonging to al-Qaida.

    "The judge's case always refers to circumstantial evidence, evidence taken from telephone calls in Arabic which were badly translated and even more badly interpreted by the police," Alluni said. 

    The only person convicted so far in relation to the 11 September attacks is Morocco-born Munir al-Mutassadiq, who last year won an appeal against his conviction in Germany and is being tried a second time.

    In the United States, accused 11 September conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui plans to plead guilty and admit a role in the attacks, US government sources said on Wednesday.

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    New information has come to light about thousands of mostly Yemeni children believed to have been abducted in the 1950s.

    Stories from the sex trade

    Stories from the sex trade

    Dutch sex workers, pimps and johns share their stories.

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    As the stigma associated with being childless persists, some elderly women in India risk it all to become mothers.