Canberra will not aid Camp Delta man

Australia will not ask Washington to release detainee David Hicks from Guantanamo Bay despite a new US court ruling which raises problems for the military tribunal process.

    Hicks' father Terry (L) has welcomed the US judge's ruling

    Australian Attorney-General Philip Ruddock said on Tuesday the latest US court judgment was another step in the proper process of law and there was no need for Australian intervention on behalf of its national.

     

    Ruddock's statement came after US District Court Judge Joyce Hens Green ruled that Guantanamo detainees had a right to challenge their detention and status as enemy combatants.

     

    Asked if he would now seek Hicks' release, Ruddock told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation: "No. What we've said is if the United States is proceeding to charge people those issues ought to be dealt with."

     

    He said US courts had conflicting decisions on record, and those issues would be resolved through proper legal processes.

     

    "What you are seeing in the United States is the proper operation of the rule of law," he said.

     

    Slap in face

     

    Hicks, a 29-year-old convert to Islam, has been held at the US detention centre at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for three years after being captured by US forces in December 2001 as he allegedly fought alongside the Taliban in Afghanistan.

     

    The former kangaroo hunter has been charged with conspiracy to commit war crimes, aiding the enemy and attempted murder.

     

    Hicks' father said Green's ruling which deemed military trials at the base unconstitutional, was a "slap in the face" for the US government.

     

    "It was good decision, it's a real slap in the face for the Americans, they won't like that," Terry Hicks told ABC radio on Tuesday.

     

    Unacceptable

     

    "The interrogating, tortures, stress and duress tactics - it won't stand up in a civil court."

    Terry Hicks, father of Guantanamo detainee David Hicks

     

    But the older Hicks said he was concerned his son would remain incarcerated at the US military base in Cuba while appeals against the decision dragged on for up to three years.

     

    "I'd say they'll re-appeal ... it could extend his time at Guantanamo, it could be up to three years." 

     

    His father said the US court system was beginning to acknowledge that the methods used against "enemy combatants" at Guantanamo were unacceptable.

     

    "The interrogating, tortures, stress and duress tactics - it won't stand up in a civil court," he said.

     

    Hicks' US military lawyer Michael Mori was confident the judge's ruling on the legality of the military tribunals would ultimately be upheld.

     

    "That day will come," he said. "Unfortunately, there's no way to get back Mr Hicks' life. You're talking about a year-, if not more, long process to get to the Supreme Court to get to a decision."

     

    Canberra criticised

     

    Another Australian, Mamduh Habib, returned to Australia last week after being released without charge from Guantanamo after almost three years' detention.

     

    Mori said Hicks should also be returned, and criticised Canberra for not doing more to secure his repatriation.

     

    The Law Council of Australia said the US court's decision added weight to criticism that Guantanamo detainees were being denied due process and basic civil rights.

     

    "It also provides another reason for the Australian government to revisit its unqualified support for the current system," council president John North said.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    In 1959, a year before Nigeria's independence, a 23-year-old student helped colour the country's identity.