Sudan talks to resume after Ramadan

Sudan's vice-president and the leader of the main rebel group have left peace talks with some issues resolved and a promise to return soon, say negotiators.

    Sudan's vice president Taha has met with rebel SPLA leader

    First Vice-President Ali Uthman Muhammad Taha and rebel leader of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), John Garang, have both been at the talks in Nairobi since 7 October.

    The talks are aimed at ending Africa's longest-running civil war.

    "It has been agreed that the principals will return after the holy month of Ramadan," Lazarus Sumbeiywo, the Kenyan chief mediator for the talks, said on Saturday. 


    The stakes for both sides are high.

    The southern rebels have warned that if these talks fail, fighting could break out in the south, east and west of Africa's largest country.


    More meetings


    Khartoum, under immense international pressure to finish the south Sudan peace pact so it can solve the Darfur crisis in the west, has said it would like to sign the agreement by December.


    Sudanese officials and rebels are
    under pressure to produce a deal

    Washington has proposed the UN Security Council holds a November meeting in Nairobi to encourage both sides to finish the talks.


    Lower-level negotiators will continue to meet to discuss the details of putting the peace pact into practice, Sumbeiywo said.

    Diplomats say that includes resolving who will pay for SPLA soldiers brought into joint SPLA-Sudanese military units.


    Delegates also said both sides agreed in principle to the disbanding of armed groups but are still split on whether to add them as signatories to a final peace pact.




    The parties agreed to approach these groups jointly to work out how they will be disbanded and absorbed into the SPLA or Sudanese forces, delegates said.


    Garang and Taha had originally been scheduled to meet for only three days, and then leave the talks to delegates.


    "It has been agreed
    that the principals will return after the holy month of Ramadan"

    Lazarus Sumbeiywo,
    Kenyan chief mediator

    Delegates said the two had met almost daily, but other diplomats have said the two met only at the opening of the talks and once thereafter.


    Garang and Taha stayed in town for 10 days, in part to attend the inauguration of the new Somali president, Abd Allah Yusuf, in Nairobi on Thursday, which both attended.


    Oil and power politics have complicated the conflict in Sudan.

    In May 2004, the government and the rebels signed landmark preliminary accords on how to share power and manage three disputed areas.

    SOURCE: Aljazeera + Agencies


    Interactive: How does your country vote at the UN?

    Interactive: How does your country vote at the UN?

    We visualised 1.2 million votes at the UN since 1946. What do you think are the biggest issues facing the world today?

    'We were forced out by the government soldiers'

    'We were forced out by the government soldiers'

    We dialled more than 35,000 random phone numbers to paint an accurate picture of displacement across South Sudan.

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Meet the man on a mission to take down Cambodia's timber tycoons and expose a rampant illegal cross-border trade.