US changes Korean redeployment plan

The US is to phase a troop pullout from South Korea over five years rather than push ahead with its original plan of reducing 33% of its forces by 2005.

    US is reconsidering redeployment of its 2nd infantry division

    According to the Yonhap news agency in Seoul on Wednesday, the revised plan is to remove 12,500 US soldiers by 2008.

    Quoting a defence source, the new plan means 5000 soldiers will be withdrawn before December this year, with most of those transferred immediately to Iraq.

    Next year, 3000 more will leave, followed by 2000 in 2006 and 2500 in 2007 and 2008, the news agency said.
      
    Washington said in June it would withdraw a third of its troops by the end of next year as part of a global troop redeployment plan.
      
    The US military also reversed its decision to pull out its Multiple Launch Rocket System batteries and Apache attack helicopters deployed near the border with North Korea.
      
    The White House has said its troop reduction will not weaken deterrence against North Korea, citing an $11 billion programme to build up firepower of US troops there over the next few years.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    From Zimbabwe to England: A story of war, home and identity

    The country I saw as home, my parents saw as oppressors

    What happens when you reject the identity your parents fought for and embrace that of those they fought against?

    Becoming Ocean: When you and the world are drowning

    Becoming Ocean: When you and the world are drowning

    One woman shares the story of her life with polycystic kidney disease and sees parallels with the plight of the planet.

    The evening death came for me: My journey with PTSD

    The evening death came for me: My journey with PTSD

    On a gorgeous Florida evening, a truck crashed into me. As I lay in intensive care, I learned who had been driving it.