Istanbul bombing trials commence

The trial of 69 people charged in connection with four bomb attacks last year in Istanbul has commenced at a new court in the city.

    Yigit (C) was said to have met top leaders of al-Qaida

    Due to space limitations, just 13 defendants were brought on Wednesday, the first day, before the newly-constituted Major Crimes Court in Istanbul, a class of court officially established to replace the state security court system.

     

    The Turkish parliament in May this year voted to abolish the state security court system as part of the country's bid to join the European Union.

     

    The 69 defendants are accused of being involved with attacks on 15 and 20 November last year that saw bombers drive pick-up trucks loaded with explosives into two synagogues, the British consulate and the Istanbul headquarters of the London-based HSBC bank.

     

    Indictment

     

    The bombings occurred in
    November last year 

    The four  bombers and 58 others were killed in the attacks, including British Consul General Roger Short. More than 600 people were injured.

     

    According to the prosecutor's indictment, Usama bin Ladin had suggested attacking Turkish targets and gave $150,000 to Turkish Islamic dissidents to carry out the

    bombings.

     

    Prosectors have asked for life sentences to be given to five so-called "ringleaders" accusing them of "attempting to overthrow the constitutional state by force", a charge equivalent to high treason.

     

    However, the suspected ringleader of the al-Qaida group in Turkey, who is believed to have ordered the attacks, is still at large.

     

    Prison terms

     

    The accused are said to have been
    acting under bin Ladin's instructions

    The others on trial face sentences ranging from around four to 22 years in jail.

     

    Fifty of the 69 on trial are being held in custody for the duration of the trial with the 19 others having been released by prosecutors shortly after being charged.

     

    According to the indictment, Habib Akdas, Baki Yigit and Adnan Ersoz had met on several occasions with top leaders of al-Qaida and that in 2001 Akdas and Yigit met bin Ladin.

     

    According to testimony provided to prosecutors by Yigit, the two Turkish nationals suggested to bin Ladin that they carry out kidnappings of US businessmen but this was rejected.

     

    Instead bin Ladin suggested that the Turkish group attack US interests in Turkey, in particular the Incirlik Air Base in southern Turkey which has been used by the US military for a number of years.

     

    Another suggestion was to attack Israeli ships in the Mediterranean port of Mersin.

     

    These targets were reportedly abandoned due to heavy security.

    SOURCE: Unspecified


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    'We were forced out by the government soldiers'

    'We were forced out by the government soldiers'

    We dialled more than 35,000 random phone numbers to paint an accurate picture of displacement across South Sudan.

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Meet the man on a mission to take down Cambodia's timber tycoons and expose a rampant illegal cross-border trade.

    Pakistan's tribal areas: 'Neither faith nor union found'

    Pakistan's tribal areas: 'Neither faith nor union found'

    Residents of long-neglected northwestern tribal belt say incorporation into Pakistan has left them in a vacuum.