Israel promises more attacks on Gaza

Israeli deputy defence minister Zeev Boim has said the army will continue its lethal raids into the Gaza Strip.

    No let up in sight for Palestinians living in refugee camps

    Speaking on public radio on Monday, Boim's comment came less than 24 hours after Israeli soldiers forced their way into two Palestinian refugee camps, killing 15 and wounding more than 80.

    "For months, we have been facing a situation where we have an average of 50 alerts a day on attacks planned by armed Palestinian groups, and the only way to foil them is to continue operations." 
      
    "This operation left 15 Palestinians dead … including four teenagers who were not so innocent since they had responded to the call from the mosques to support the terrorists," he added.
      
    Israeli army chief Moshe Yaalon claimed in the Israeli press that the civilians killed in the operation were hit by Palestinian bullets.

    Killing boys

    The promise of future raids came as troops shot dead a Palestinian teenager on Monday.

    Coming too close to a Jewish settlement in the Gaza Strip, 16-year-old Khalid Madi was shot in the back by soldiers.

    He was working in a field belonging to his family near the settlement of Morag in the southern Gaza Strip, witnesses said.

    Promising resistance

    Angry mouners attend the funeral
    of victims killed during Israeli raid

    The Palestinian resistance group Hamas has vowed to maintain its resistance despite yesterday's deaths.

    According to the organisation's website, resistance fighters from Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades said they knocked out two Israeli tanks during the refugee camp invasion, and scored direct hits on two more.

    Hamas has also vowed to avenge an Israeli occupation army offensive in the central Gaza Strip, even as Israel promised more of the same.

    "This massacre will not pass without punishment," Ismail Haniya, a senior leader of the group in Gaza, told reporters.
     
    "This massacre will only make our people stronger and more determined to continue the resistance."
     
    Toll

    However, Hamas said in a statement six members of its armed wing, Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, were killed in al-Nusairat refugee camp, while another three were killed in al-Buraij camp.
     
    Among those killed in the operation was a local leader of the Brigades, 44-year-old Hasan Zahut, it added.
     
    Palestinian medical sources said three boys, aged eight, 12 and 15, were among those killed in the clashes around the entrance to the neighbouring camps.
     
    Earlier on Monday, the Palestinian resistance fired a makeshift rocket which landed close to the illegal Israeli settlement, but no-one was injured.

    SOURCE: Aljazeera + Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    In 1959, a year before Nigeria's independence, a 23-year-old student helped colour the country's identity.