China says patient may have SARS

Preliminary tests showed that China's first suspected SARS case in six months may have the coronavirus linked to the disease even as the WHO said it was waiting for more results to come in.

    Over 5300 people were affected by SARS in China last year

    "There is a possibility that the patient may have contracted the SARS coronavirus," Xu Ruiheng, deputy director of the Guangdong centre

    for diseases prevention and control, said on Hong Kong cable television, citing results from viral gene sequencing.

    A 32-year-old television worker is suspected to have contracted Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), sending ripples through a

    region that was severely affected by the mystery virus last year.

    The WHO, which is working closely with Chinese authorities, said it could not confirm the finding, as details of the Guangdong tests had

    not been shared with the WHO.

    Earlier this week, Guangdong health bureau spokesman Feng Shaoming said local tests showed the patient had been infected with SARS,

    but the health ministry said it wanted to carry out further tests.

    The ministry's daily SARS report on Friday said the patient remained in stable condition.

    Tests under way

    The report on Hong Kong TV, and carried by the official Xinhua news agency, came while testing of samples from the patient were under

    way in two Hong Kong labs.

    The WHO is confident that China's
    raised level of alert will prevent
    any major outbreak

    In Hong Kong, acting deputy director of health Regina Ching said medical experts had started conducting a battery of tests on the

    samples.

    "Most of the tests we have completed but some tests are still ongoing," she said.

    "For the tests we have completed, we have already sent the results back to the World Health Organisation for their interpretation," she

    said.

    It is likely the results will be passed to China's Ministry of Health before being made public by the WHO.

    The ministry agreed to ship the samples overseas after repeated tests this week proved inconclusive.

    Confusing picture

    "It's a confusing picture," WHO spokesman Roy Wadia said. "The availability of test results from the Hong Kong laboratories may help clear

    this up."

    Whatever the outcome, the WHO said China's raised level of alert and resources spent on curbing the SARS virus will prevent any major

    outbreaks.

    Even if a few cases, or clusters of cases, of SARS were to occur it would be possible to prevent massive spread, Julie Hall, SARS team

    leader of the WHO China office, said.

    China was the country worst affected by the SARS outbreak last year, with 5327 people infected nationwide of which 349 died.

    In Guangzhou, a three-man WHO team on Thursday held an eight-hour meeting with three Chinese health department officials to review

    what they had learned since the case came to light last Saturday.

    "They basically went through their investigations so far and listed their observations," said Wadia.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    'We will cut your throats': The anatomy of Greece's lynch mobs

    The brutality of Greece's racist lynch mobs

    With anti-migrant violence hitting a fever pitch, victims ask why Greek authorities have carried out so few arrests.

    The rise of Pakistan's 'burger' generation

    The rise of Pakistan's 'burger' generation

    How a homegrown burger joint pioneered a food revolution and decades later gave a young, politicised class its identity.

    From Cameroon to US-Mexico border: 'We saw corpses along the way'

    'We saw corpses along the way'

    Kombo Yannick is one of the many African asylum seekers braving the longer Latin America route to the US.