Turkey smashes 'group behind blasts'

Turkish authorities say they have broken up the Istanbul cell behind last month's truck bombings and have linked the group to the al-Qaida network.

    So far, 35 people have been charged over the Istanbul attacks

    The four blasts, which targeted two synagogues and British interests in Turkey's commercial capital, killed 61 people and wounded several hundred others. 

    "The suicide attacks were carried out by elements trying to organise for al-Qaida in Turkey," city governor Muammer Guler told a news conference in Istanbul held on Friday to announce progress in the investigation. 

    "We can comfortably say that we have broken up the organisation's Istanbul activities," he said. 

    The governor said 35 people have been charged so far in connection with the attacks and that a further 10 people were sent on Friday to a state security court which will decide whether they too should be charged. 

    One of those sent to court on Friday, Harun Ilhan, was also taken to the site of the Neve Shalom synagogue in the city, where one of the blasts occurred, to help recreate what had happened. 

    Media reports said Ilhan had confessed to being a member of Usama bin Ladin's al Qaida network and said he had lived for a year in Afghanistan after evading military service in Turkey. 

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    How different voting systems work around the world

    How different voting systems work around the world

    Nearly two billion voters in 52 countries around the world will head to the polls this year to elect their leaders.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Will you push the boundaries or play it safe?

    Will you push the boundaries or play it safe?

    Curate an art exhibition and survive Thailand's censorship crackdown in this interactive game.