Saudi dissident turns himself in

One of Saudi Arabia's most wanted dissidents, sought in connection with deadly bombings this year, surrendered to police on Tuesday, according to Saudi state media.

    A government campaign has been launched against insurgents

    An Interior Ministry statement carried by state media said Mansur bin Muhammad Ahmad Faqih, who was on a list of 26 wanted armed dissidents, surrendered to authorities and was later visited by his family.
       
    Saudi Arabia has promised to strike with an "iron fist" against those behind bombings that killed more than 50 people, including nine Americans, in May and November.

    But Riyadh has pledged that fighters who surrender could expect better treatment in court. 

    In recent weeks the Saudi monarchy has made great play by showing dissident leaders recanting their deviant religious views on television and encouraging their followers to do likewise.

    Wanted list
        
    Faqih's surrender came a day after a small bomb exploded in Riyadh in a parked car, in what security sources said appeared to be an assassination attempt on a security forces officer.

    Saudi Arabia named 26 suspects earlier this month it said were wanted in connection with "terrorism" in the kingdom and offered rewards of up to $1.9 million to anyone who helped police arrest them or thwart an attack.
       
    State television has repeatedly shown pictures of the suspects who include 23 Saudis, two Moroccans and a Yemeni.

    Security forces killed one of the 26 in a shootout this month. Police said a tip-off had been received for which a reward was paid. 

    Security official confirmation
       

    November's attack in Riyadh killed
    17 people

    Saudi officials also disclosed on Wednesday that a leading counter terrorism official was slightly wounded in an assassination attempt earlier this month.

    Aljazeera.net exclusively revealed on 9 December that Abd al-Aziz Al-Huwairini had come under attack after assailants opened fire on his car.

    The shooting was not acknowledged by Saudi officials, but a previously unknown group known as the Brigade of the Two Holy Mosques had claimed responsibility for the attack.

    Saudi Arabia has been waging a campaign against suspected insurgents, resulting in the arrests of hundreds of individuals.

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: How does your country vote at the UN?

    Interactive: How does your country vote at the UN?

    Explore how your country voted on global issues since 1946, as the world gears up for the 74th UN General Assembly.

    'We were forced out by the government soldiers'

    'We were forced out by the government soldiers'

    We dialled more than 35,000 random phone numbers to paint an accurate picture of displacement across South Sudan.

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Meet the man on a mission to take down Cambodia's timber tycoons and expose a rampant illegal cross-border trade.