Ivory Coast bans public demonstrations

Ivory Coast has banned all public demonstrations, a week after pro-government youths rampaged through the capital Abidjan.

    President Gbagbo (R) is accused of undermining French-backed peace deal

    The ban, announced on Thursday, has exacerbated tensions in a country still divided despite the official end of a civil war.   

     

    The violence highlighted simmering instability in the world's top cocoa producer, despite a peace deal meant to end a civil war triggered by a failed coup last year.

     

    Spontaneous

       

    Government spokesman Adjoumani Kobenan said all public demonstrations were suspended for a period of three months.

       

    "Over the past week, spontaneous demonstrations of unprecedented violence and a nameless barbarism have been organised in different parts of Abidjan," he said after a weekly government meeting.

       

    Kobenan said the government had also decided to pursue those responsible for the damage caused during last week's riot.

       

    Pro-government militiamen dressed in combat gear and carrying iron bars and clubs smashed offices and looted goods in Abidjan, especially targeting businesses owned by citizens of former colonial power France.

     

    "Over the past week, spontaneous demonstrations of unprecedented violence and a nameless barbarism have been organised in different parts of Abidjan"

    Adjoumani Kobenan
    government spokesman

    They accuse some of the 4000 French troops policing a ceasefire line of helping rebels who control half the country.

       

    Fighting in Ivory Coast has stopped since the May ceasefire but rebel forces still control the mainly Muslim northern half.

       

    Last month, ministers from the rebel New Forces pulled out of a power-sharing government, accusing President Laurent Gbagbo of undermining a peace accord brokered by France.

       

    They recently said they would only return if Gbagbo quit.

       

    On Thursday, the New Forces condemned the decision to ban all marches, saying it was "a step backwards for democracy which violated constitutional liberties". It said in a statement that people would be allowed to demonstrate in the zones it controls.

       

    Kobenan also announced the dissolution of a notorious pro-government militia, that has repeatedly threatened to take up arms to defend Gbagbo.

       

    He said members of the militia were guilty of forgery, with some carrying professional cards resembling those given to the defence and security forces. 

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    'We scoured for days without sleeping, just clothes on our backs'

    'We scoured for days without sleeping, just clothes on our backs'

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Daughters of al-Shabab

    Daughters of al-Shabab

    What draws Kenyan women to join al-Shabab and what challenges are they facing when they return to their communities?