Albanian couple admit selling son

A poverty-stricken Albanian couple has admitted handing over their son to a gang of human traffickers in return for a colour television.

    The gang subsequently sold the three year-old boy to an elderly

    Italian couple for 5000 euros ($5700), the

    Italian news agency ANSA said on Monday.

    According to the report, it was the boy's father, knowing

    the traffickers were dangerous, who agreed to the deal.

    The gang was broken up by Italian police several months ago, and

    when the arrest of leader Besim Metani was announced the boy's

    mother came forward.

    Boy traced

    Italian and Albanian investigators finally traced the boy to

    the town of Sersale in the south of the country where he had been

    living since 1999 with Angelo Borelli, 69, and his wife Iole Rodio,

    57, under the name of Michele.

    The child, now aged seven, was put into the care of Italian social

    services until the legal authorities make a decision on whether to

    send him back to Albania.

    The trafficking gang is alleged to have brought about 60

    children into Italy by similar means.

    Police spokesman Pierpaolo Maraffa said his officers were still

    trying to trace about 30 children in and around the town of Pescara

    on the Adriatic coast facing Albania.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Holding onto Hoxha: Guarding the last statue of communist Albania

    Holding onto Hoxha: Guarding the last statue of communist Albania

    In the basement of an old museum in a village in Albania, a 78-year-old woman protects the last remnant of a dictator.

    Still Here: A story of incarceration and gentrification in the US

    Still Here: A story of incarceration and gentrification in the US

    Many formerly imprisoned women of colour return to neighbourhoods transformed beyond recognition. What awaits them?

    The 'risky business' of tracking Rwandan fugitive Felicien Kabuga

    The 'risky business' of tracking Rwandan fugitive Felicien Kabuga

    The former chief prosecutor at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda discusses the hunt for genocide suspects.