Mumbai bomber 'shot dead'

Indian police claim to have shot dead the alleged mastermind behind last month's twin bomb blasts in Mumbai. They also killed one of his accomplices.

    The blasts killed more than 50 people

    The two men were shot in the Mumbai suburb of Matunga. One of them, known to police as Nasir, was believed to have organised the 25 August car bomb attacks which killed 52 people and injured more than 150 in India’s financial centre.

    The police did not identify Nasir’s companion. They said they’d been tracking the pair on the basis of leads obtained during their on-going investigation into the blasts.
       
    Satya Pal Singh, joint commissioner of Mumbai police, told Reuters that the two men opened fire when the car in which they were travelling was ordered to stop on Friday.

    “They shot at the police from their vehicle and the police retaliated, killing them both,” Singh said.

    After the suspects were confirmed dead, police searched the car and found explosives, detonators and small arms.

    So far, five people, including a teenage girl and her parents, have been detained in connection with the bombings.

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    New information has come to light about thousands of mostly Yemeni children believed to have been abducted in the 1950s.

    Stories from the sex trade

    Stories from the sex trade

    Dutch sex workers, pimps and johns share their stories.

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    As the stigma associated with being childless persists, some elderly women in India risk it all to become mothers.