US takes steps to prevent al-Qaida attacks

United States officials have warned their compatriots of potential al-Qaida attacks and said they were taking measures to prevent such strikes, local media reported on Sunday.

    Attorney-General says dozens of terrorist acts have been stopped

    “The potential for us to be hit again is a very real potential,” Attorney-General John Ashcroft told Fox news, although he claimed dozens of possible attacks had been thwarted.

    He added that steps had been taken to reduce the risk of an attack. The practice of allowing foreign transit air passengers to change planes in the US without a visa, he said, had been suspended.

    Ashcroft was responding to an audio tape broadcast on Sunday that reportedly contained a message from Ayman al-Zawahiri, believed to be the second highest ranking official in al-Qaida.

    The message, broadcast on Sunday by the Dubai-based television network Al-Arabiya, warned the US it would pay a high price if it harmed detainees at its naval base in Cuba. The “real battle” was still to come, it said.

    ‘Al-Qaida won’t wait to attack’

    Ashcroft dismissed the apparent connection between US behaviour at the Guantanamo Bay base and a possible al-Qaida response, saying the group blamed for the September 11 attacks would act in any case.

    “I believe al-Qaida wants to strike us. I believe they want to strike us whenever and wherever they can,” he insisted. “I believe we have disrupted dozens and dozens and dozens, over a hundred terrorist-related attacks around the world since 9/11,” he said.

    Alleged al-Qaida tape threatens
    revenge if detainees harmed

    Also on Sunday, the secretary of the department of homeland security, Tom Ridge told CNN the measures against foreigners on transit flights was based on “a very specific piece of intelligence that talked about terrorists exploiting this particular vulnerability.”

    Ridge added that the visa waiver program enjoyed by visitors from Western Europe and other friendly states would remain - but those travellers should expect closer scrutiny.

    The US is holding more than 600 people from 42 countries without charge or legal counsel at its naval base at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

    It announced recently it would begin to try selected prisoners at special military tribunals. Those convicted face the prospect of the death penalty.

    SOURCE: Aljazeera + Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    'We will cut your throats': The anatomy of Greece's lynch mobs

    The brutality of Greece's racist lynch mobs

    With anti-migrant violence hitting a fever pitch, victims ask why Greek authorities have carried out so few arrests.

    The rise of Pakistan's 'burger' generation

    The rise of Pakistan's 'burger' generation

    How a homegrown burger joint pioneered a food revolution and decades later gave a young, politicised class its identity.

    From Cameroon to US-Mexico border: 'We saw corpses along the way'

    'We saw corpses along the way'

    Kombo Yannick is one of the many African asylum seekers braving the longer Latin America route to the US.