Mobile phone bursts into flames

A 33-year-old Dutch woman suffered face and neck burns after her mobile phone burst into flames.

    Phone manufacturers recommend using original accessories

    Amsterdam police said the incident occurred on Tuesday after the woman dropped the phone in a music store in central Amsterdam.

    A police spokesperson said the mobile caught fire when the woman picked it up and switched it back on.

    “The battery got hot and then the phone burst into flames. It was a Nokia. We later heard she had used a replacement battery,” said Jan Willem van Hofwegen of Fame Music store.

    Similar events have happened in the past, and have been related to faulty batteries made by independent electronics manufacturers, a Nokia official said.

    “We’ve heard about phones that overheat, melted and, in the worst case, exploded,” he said.

    “In all cases it was caused by a replacement battery which was not a Nokia accessory. The manufacturers violated security requirements which should prevent it from heating up after short-circuiting, for instance, after it was dropped.”

    The official could not name any of the battery manufacturers.

    The injured woman was not available for comment.

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    New information has come to light about thousands of mostly Yemeni children believed to have been abducted in the 1950s.

    Stories from the sex trade

    Stories from the sex trade

    Dutch sex workers, pimps and johns share their stories.

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    As the stigma associated with being childless persists, some elderly women in India risk it all to become mothers.