US blames Saudi blast response

The United States has said that Saudi Arabia has not done enough to prevent attacks against expatriate compounds, while stressing that the kingdom remains an US ally.

    Washington believes the kingdom
    could have done more to prevent
    the attacks

    Washington's ambassador to Riyadh, Robert Jordan, said on Wednesday that the kingdom did not respond to requests for more security at the attacked compounds 

    US requests for machine-gun mounted vehicles at the gates of the Jedawal compound and a reaction team inside were rejected by the Saudi Air Force that guards the facility, US officials told ABC News televison.

    The US State Department had warned days before the explosions that “terrorist groups may be in the final phases of planning attacks against US interests in Saudi Arabia”, the U

    S officials said. 

    Deputy National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley went to Riyadh last week to deliver the warning, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity. White House officials would not confirm Hadley’s trip.

    Praise for co-operation

    White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said Saudi Arabia, like many other countries, had some “terrorists” on its soil and called on Riyadh to deal with it.

    But Fleischer was quick to emphasize that Saudi Arabia was an important partner in Washington’s “war on terror”, saying US President George W. Bush was pleased with Riyadh’s co-operation.

    He said the attacks would not make Washington reassess its relationship with Riyadh, suggesting this is what the assailants wanted.

    Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador to Washington Prince Bandar echoed Fleischer, saying the attacks were aimed at hurting US-Saudi ties.


    Increased caution

    Meanwhile, US and British envoys in Riyadh met with their nationals on Wednesday and urged them to boost their personal security.

    But they did not ask their citizens to leave the kingdom. A number of Westerners have started leaving Saudi Arabia and some foreign firms were closed following the attacks. 

    The US embassy is evacuating non-essential staff and any of its 40,000 citizens who want to leave.

     At least seven Americans died in the Monday night bombings in Riyadh.


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Meet the deported nurse aiding asylum seekers at US-Mexico border

    Meet the deported nurse helping refugees at the border

    Francisco 'Panchito' Olachea drives a beat-up ambulance around Nogales, taking care of those trying to get to the US.

    The rise of Pakistan's 'burger' generation

    The rise of Pakistan's 'burger' generation

    How a homegrown burger joint pioneered a food revolution and decades later gave a young, politicised class its identity.

    'We will cut your throats': The anatomy of Greece's lynch mobs

    The brutality of Greece's racist lynch mobs

    With anti-migrant violence hitting a fever pitch, victims ask why Greek authorities have carried out so few arrests.