US oil workers leave Iraq after air raid kills Iran's Soleimani

Hours after the assassination of Soleimani, the US embassy in Baghdad urged all its citizens to leave Iraq immediately.

    Iraqi officials said the evacuation of US oil workers would not affect oil operations, production or exports from the country [File:Essam Al-Sudani/Reuters]
    Iraqi officials said the evacuation of US oil workers would not affect oil operations, production or exports from the country [File:Essam Al-Sudani/Reuters]

    United States citizens working for foreign oil companies in the southern Iraqi oil city of Basra were leaving the country on Friday, Iraq's Ministry of Oil said, after a US air raid killed a top Iranian commander in Iraq.

    Hours after the killing of Iranian Quds Force leader Qassem Soleimani and Iraqi militia commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, who was with him, the US embassy in Baghdad urged all its citizens to leave Iraq immediately.

    More:

    Iraqi officials said the evacuation would not affect oil operations, production or exports from the country, the second-biggest producer in the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) with output of about 4.62 million barrels per day (bpd), according to a Reuters news agency survey of OPEC output.

    Oil company sources told Reuters earlier on Friday that dozens of foreign workers were expected to fly out of the country. A Reuters witness saw a number of foreigners, including US citizens, queueing to check-in at Basra airport and described the atmosphere as relaxed.

    Some were travelling to Dubai on airline FlyDubai and others were checking in at the Qatar Airways counter.

    A spokesman for BP, which operates the giant Rumaila oilfield near Basra, declined to comment. Rumaila produced approximately 1.5 million bpd as recently as April.

    Italian energy group Eni said the Zubair oilfield, which produced approximately 475,000 bpd in 2018, was "proceeding regularly", adding it was closely monitoring the situation.

    US energy group ExxonMobil declined to comment on whether it was evacuating staff, but said production "continues normally" at its West Qurna 1 oil concession in the south of the country near the Iranian border. "We continue to watch the situation closely," a spokeswoman said.

    ExxonMobil removed approximately 60 foreign staff from West Qurna last May after attacks near its oil facilities. The employees returned about two weeks later after the government agreed to provide additional security.

    Ian Bryant, Chief Executive of Canadian oilfield company Packers Plus, said he was "more concerned than ever about the safety of our staff in Iraq", adding he was worried that US, British and Canadian citizens might get caught up in any unrest.

    Genel, an oil producer in the semi-autonomous Kurdish region in northern Iraq, said its operations were continuing normally. It did not comment on any staff movements.

    Gulf Keystone Petroleum, which also operates in the Kurdish region of northern Iraq, said "while these events are taking place...Gulf Keystone is closely monitoring the situation and operations at [the Shaikan field] are carrying on as per usual".

    Norway's DNO did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

    Oil services firm Petrofac, which operates in Iraq, was not immediately available for comment.

    SOURCE: Reuters news agency