Anders Behring Breivik, responsible for murdering 77 people in a gun and bomb massacre last year, has said that he will not appeal his prison sentence and issued an apology to "militant nationalists" for not killing more people.

A Norwegian court found Breivik was sane and criminally responsible for the killings, sending him to jail on Friday for at least 21 years.

Breivik has admitted detonating a fertilizer bomb outside government headquarters, killing eight, before shooting 69 at the ruling party's summer youth camp.

Al Jazeera correspondent Paul Brennan, reporting from Oslo, said that Breivik's sentence could be extended.

"He will be put into a prison and will be kept in a prison until he is judged to be no danger to the public."



Al Jazeeras Paul Brennan reports from Oslo

Many survivors and families of the victims wanted a sane verdict, saying the opposite would diminish his responsibility for the attacks.

"It puts a context that Norwegian people feel far more comfortable about," Brennan said.

That this wasn't just the act of a single madman, it was a politically motivated act."

Breivik said he targeted the ruling centre-left Labour Party for its support of Muslim immigration.

He dismissed being called a child murderer, arguing that his victims, some as young as 14, were brainwashed activists whose support for multiculturalism threatened to adulterate pure Norwegian blood.

Breivik himself had argued for the sane verdict as he wanted the attack to be seen as a political statement.

For many Norwegians, still shocked by their bloodiest day since World War II, the details were academic, however.

"He is getting what he deserves," said Alexandra Peltre, 18, whom Breivik shot in the thigh on Utoeya.

"This is karma striking back at him. I do not care if he is insane or not, as long as he gets the punishment that he deserves."

'Tough year'

Guilt has never been a question in the trial as Breivik described in chilling detail how he hunted down his victims,
some as young as 14, with a shot to the body then one or more bullets to the head.

The killings shook this nation of five million people which had prided itself as a safe haven from much of the world's troubles, raising questions about the prevalence of far right views as immigration rises.

The trial and a commission of investigation into the country's worst violence since World War II have kept Breivik
on the front pages for the past 13 months and survivors said the verdict would finally bring some closure.

"It has been a tough year ... but I don't want to be Utoeya-Nicoline for the rest of my life," said Nicoline Bjerge
Schie, a survivor of the shooting. 

Dressed in a black suit with a tie and still sporting the under-chin beard familiar from the 10 weeks of hearings that ended in June, Breivik smirked when he entered the courtroom and gave his now familiar, far-right salute when his handcuffs were removed.

He smiled again as the judge read out the verdict.

Source: Al Jazeera and agencies