No decision will be made on moving Qatar's 2022 football World Cup to the winter before the end of next year's tournament in Brazil, the president of football's world governing body has said.
Sepp Blatter said on Twitter on Friday that FIFA and the executive committee of Qatar 2022 decided to launch a "consultation process among main stakeholders", and that no decision would be taken before next year's.
FIFA has been considering moving the World Cup to winter after many supporter and football organisations said it would be impossible to play the tournament in the country's summer heat, which can reach 50C.
Qatar has also faced heavy criticism in foreign media about the deaths of migrant labourers working on its World Cup projects - allegedly averaging one a day - and the poor conditions many of them live in.
In another message on Twitter, Blatter said that FIFA could "not interfere with the labour rights of any country, but we cannot ignore them".
|Al Jazeera's Nidhi Dutt reports from Kerela in Southern India, where many labourers are recruited
Blatter posted his comments after a meeting of the body's board.
Qatar was awarded the right to host the competition in December 2010 in a decision based on its plans to stage the event in June-July using air-conditioned stadiums to combat the fierce heat.
Despite Qatar's assurances that the plan is viable, there has been widespread concern over the health of the players and visiting fans in the searing conditions of the desert summer.
Blatter said in July that he would propose a move to a cooler time of year and that he expected the executive committee to agree with him.
European football's governing body UEFA agreed last month that the World Cup should be moved, with all 54 member associations backing the proposal.