Balotelli accepts fine and drops appeal

Following talks between Mario Balotelli and his club Man City, striker accepts two-week fine for disciplinary record.

    Balotelli accepts fine and drops appeal
    Man City player Mario Balotelli (R) missed 11 domestic and European games through suspension last season [GALLO/GETTY]

    Manchester City's wayward striker Mario Balotelli has accepted a two-week fine over his poor disciplinary record and dropped an appeal to a Premier League tribunal, the club announced on Wednesday.

    Lawyers representing the Italy international had been due to present an appeal on his behalf to a tribunal on Wednesday, after City reportedly fined him two weeks' wages for his on-pitch misdemeanours last season.

    However, following talks between Balotelli and the club, the 22-year-old agreed to withdraw his case and accept his punishment.

    "After amicable talks between the parties, as a sign of respect for (manager) Roberto Mancini, the supporters and the club, Mario Balotelli has chosen to accept a two week fine levied upon him by the club and withdraw his disciplinary appeal, which was due to be heard by a Premier League panel today (Wednesday)," City said in a statement.

    "Mario remains available for selection for all forthcoming fixtures."

    Balotelli missed 11 domestic and European games through suspension last season and he has endured a difficult start to the current campaign, scoring just once in the Premier League.

    Mancini has twice dropped him from City's match-day squad and he was substituted at half-time of the English champions' 3-2 derby defeat by Manchester United earlier this month.

    Mancini has repeatedly voiced his frustration at Balotelli's inability to harness his talent, prompting speculation that the player could leave the club during the January transfer window.

    Balotelli joined City from Inter Milan for $39.1 million in 2010.

    He has been linked with a move to Inter's city rivals AC Milan but his agent says he has no intention of leaving the Etihad Stadium.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Revival: The Muslim Response to the Crusades

    Revival: The Muslim Response to the Crusades

    This part of 'The Crusades: An Arab Perspective' explores the birth of the Muslim revival in the face of the Crusades.

    Going undercover as a sex worker

    Going undercover as a sex worker

    A photojournalist describes how she posed as a prostitute to follow the trade in human flesh.

    Africa is not poor, we are stealing its wealth

    Africa is not poor, we are stealing its wealth

    It's time to change the way we talk and think about Africa.