[QODLink]
Football
Antonio Conte: 'Ban is a disgrace!'
Juventus boss Antonio Conte loses cool at a press conferences after being banned for failing to report match-fixing.
Last Modified: 23 Aug 2012 14:52
Juventus are still favourites to win Serie A despite 10-month ban of their manager [AP]

Emotional Juventus coach Antonio Conte, shouting at the top of his voice in an angry news conference, labelled his 10-month ban for not reporting match-fixing "a disgrace".

Conte, who led an undefeated Juve to the Serie A title last term in his first season in charge, lost his appeal this week
against being found guilty of permitting illegal betting while Siena coach in Serie B.

He was cleared of wrongdoing in one of the two Siena matches probed.

Juve, who have installed assistant Massimo Carrera as temporary coach with the season starting this weekend, are
appealing to a higher sports court after failing to overturn the ban at the Italian soccer federation (FIGC).

"I am innocent. It's a disgrace, it's a disgrace. I can say that because it is finished with them (FIGC) although there is another appeal," Conte told reporters at Juve's training ground outside Turin on Thursday.

"I am innocent. It's a disgrace, it's a disgrace. I can say that because it is finished with them (FIGC) although there is
another appeal"

Juventus coach Antonio Conte

"I have always respected the laws on and off the field, in this issue I have acted correctly.

"Yesterday was the cherry on the cake. It was something serious, something I have never seen."

The Siena matches that came under scrutiny for illegal betting were against Novara and Albinoleffe in May 2011. FIGC's appeals tribunal said on Wednesday that Conte had been acquitted over the Novara game but the 10-month ban should stay for the Albinoleffe affair.

Three Juve lawyers, sat by Conte and assistant Angelo Alessio who has also been banned, launched into long diatribes
about the decision not to fully acquit Conte.

They told Thursday's news conference that evidence used in the case against Conte came from a discredited player who could not be trusted. The FIGC disputes this.

"It's absurd, it's absurd. Everything that has happened to me," Conte continued.

"I have never bet in my life."

Juve, although not directly involved this time, have a history of having to deal with match-fixing. Italy's best supported and most successful team domestically were demoted in a 2006 affair and struggled for years before last term's triumph.

Despite Conte's ban, Juve remain favourites with Italian bookmakers to retain their title this season after AC Milan engaged in cost-cutting and Inter Milan endured another difficult campaign last term.

398

Source:
Reuters
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
The author argues that in the new economy, it's people, not skills or majors, that have lost value.
Colleagues of detained Al Jazeera journalists press demands for their release, 100 days after their arrest in Egypt.
Mehdi Hasan discusses online freedoms and the potential of the web with Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales.
A tight race seems likely as 814 million voters elect leaders in world's largest democracy next week.
Featured
A vocal minority in Ukraine's east wants to join Russia, and Kiev has so far been unable to put down the separatists.
Iran's government has shifted its take on 'brain drain' but is the change enough to reverse the flow?
Deadly attacks on anti-mining activists in the Philippines part of a global trend, according to new report.
Activists say 'Honor Diaries' documentary exploits gender-based violence to further an anti-Islamic agenda.
As Syria's civil war escalates along the Turkish border, many in Turkey are questioning the country's involvement.
join our mailing list