Kirk Edwards and Darren Bravo have scored half centuries as the West Indies battled to save the first test against New Zealand, as cricket was hit by a fresh match-fixing scandal.
The West Indies were still 228 runs from making the hosts bat again at the close of play on the third day in Dunedin on Thursday.
After losing an early wicket, Edwards and Bravo stayed together through most of the final session, in a much-needed partnership.
We have been aware of this investigation for a number of months and are shocked and surprised by the allegations.
Bravo was on 72 while Marlon Samuels was on 17 after Edwards was trapped in front by legspinner Ish Sodhi for 59 about 45 minutes before the end of play as the West Indies adopted a more resolute approach in their second innings.
Tim Southee and Trent Boult shared seven wickets as New Zealand dismissed the tourists for 213 in reply to their first innings of 609-9 declared and Boult made an early breakthrough when captain Brendon McCullum enforced the follow on.
The clash came as as it was revealed that three former cricketers were at the centre of a match-fixing probe.
Batsman Lou Vincent confirmed he was one of three former New Zealand players under investigation by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for alleged match-fixing.
The ICC and New Zealand Cricket (NZC) were forced to reveal the investigation had been ongoing for months earlier on Thursday after a report in a local newspaper.
Neither the ICC nor NZC would identify the three players involved but Vincent issued a short written statement on Thursday confirming he was co-operating with the investigation.
"I wish to let everyone know that I am co-operating with an ongoing ICC Anti-Corruption investigation that has been made public today," Vincent said in the statement issued through the New Zealand Cricket Players' Association.
"This investigation is bound by a number of rules and regulations that mean I am unable to make any further public comment.
"I will personally talk to the public when I am able to. In the meantime I cannot comment. Please respect me and my family's privacy until such time."
No current players involved
The names of the other two players have been reported by local and international media outlets but NZC would not confirm their identities when contacted by Reuters news agency.
An NZC spokesperson referred the queries to the world governing body, who were unavailable for comment.
Earlier NZC chief executive David White had appeared at a hastily arranged media conference shortly before play on the third day of the first Test between West Indies and New Zealand at University Oval in Dunedin.
"New Zealand Cricket is aware that the International Cricket Council is investigating a small number of New Zealand cricketers," White told reporters.
"We have been aware of this investigation for a number of months and are shocked and surprised by the allegations."
White said no current players were the subject of the probe and the matches under investigation were overseas and not domestic matches in New Zealand.